Thursday, January 05, 2006

inner city blues, revisited

When is a true remedy going to occur? Something that truly changes the plight that surrounds us, that demoralizes our men, demeans our women, and disgraces the child? When will the powers that be realize the mistakes of the past, remedy them in the present, to brighten our future? Never. The lights and the cameras are just apart of a larger plan. And what a plan it is. Things are the way that they are because this is how it was meant to be. I sound angry, I know. It's because I look for beauty in this world, and find it sullied and tarnished. And deep down, I know it doesn't have to be this way. So I refuse to settle for the scraps of success. 10% drop in crime. Not good enough. Less drug arrests. I need more. I refuse to become complacent with improvement at the margins of the problem. Because I know, like you do, that alcohol and a band-aid isn't enough for a bullet wound. Expand the job opportunities for those with felonies. Create support systems for single mothers. I need not go on. What I need to do, and what you need to do is put ourselves in a position to affect this change for ourselves, for our people, for all of those who are unable to get what they need to truly live in this society. The true change begins with our actions, not our words.
I'm off the soapbox now. Thanks for listening. I needed that.

No comments: